56108 and 47785 railhead saloon the front and back of the last train to Trawsfynydd, ‘The Trawsfynydd Lament’ on October 17th 1998. The train is not far from the site of Ffestiniog station.
The weather sums up the sombre occasion. 31456 pushes an inspection saloon towards Trawsfynydd, 10th February 1994. National Power owned 59205 brings the “Roman Nose” tour through the remains of Ffestiniog station on 18th April 1998. Blaenau Railway and from here to Trawsfynydd the curves are less severe. The snow capped peak behind the train is Manod Mawr. 31304 backs the nuclear flask test train of 21st July 1993 towards the power station in the background.
Road” was a GWR euphemism for any station remote from the place it served – sure enough Maentwrog is about 3 miles away and 600 feet lower down. The old station buildings are now privately occupied. Trawsfynydd Power Station is visible above the train. 37377 and 37098 bring up the rear of the “Roman Nose” railtour on 18th April 1998 as it passes Maentwrog Road station. Pathfinder Tours ran a tour to Trawsfynydd on August 27th, 1994, top and tailed by a pair of Class 31’s – the “Trawsfynydd Trekker”. 31190 is seen here nearing Trawsfynydd, at the rear of the train was 31327.
The train was so popular that a re-run was arranged for 10th September. 31312 and 134 near the end of the line, 2nd September 1994. Newly converted 153307 was used for clearance tests on the Conwy Valley line on April 1st 1992. Just north of Canal Junction on the Waverley route. The up platform is extant and publicly accessible.
Notes: Although the station came into use on 29 October there was some untimetabled use prior to that date. It first appeared in timetables in July 1863. Port Carlisle Junction was short-lived, closing on 1 July 1864. After closure the up platform was retained for changing northbound train crew and passing messages to the crew but was very rarely used. The Waverley route was a double-track railway line that ran south from Edinburgh in Scotland through Midlothian and the Scottish Borders to Carlisle in England. Edinburgh to Hawick opened in 1849.
The final section, Hawick to Carlisle, opened in 1862. Railway, was the first to serve Scotland’s capital city. It carried coal from the mines in Lothian to its city centre terminus at St Leonards. It received Royal Assent on 26 May 1826 as a horse-drawn tramway built to the Scottish gauge of 4 ft 6 in and linked various coal mines to the south-east of Edinburgh. The line was commissioned by a business consortium led by Walter Montagu-Douglas-Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch, with the engineering plans being contributed by Robert Stevenson. 4 June 1829, sanctioned the Leith Branch, running from Niddrie to Leith. The second, in 1834, authorised further branches to Fisherrow and Musselburgh and allowed a certain amount of passenger traffic by horse-drawn railway coaches.
The first section of the line opened for goods traffic from Edinburgh St Leonards to Craighall Colliery, between Niddrie and Millerhill, on 4 July 1831. October 1831 with a branch to Dalkeith opening on 26 November 1838. A full passenger service was introduced by the contractor MJ Fox between St. 1834, taking over all passenger workings in 1836 with a service to Dalkeith opening in autumn 1839. 113,000, the sale being completed in October 1845. It appears that some alteration to the course of the line was made between 1838 and March 1844 when the NBR produced a map showing its plans for route.